Tuesday, February 3, 2009

an introduction that is an epilogue. or vice versa.

these pages are the last pages of the book "detour: my bipolar road trip in 4-D" but as far as i'm concerned, they are an introduction to the world of someone living with manic-depression. i'm not even sure who read this book, aside from me, and probably jezzie, who picked the book. however, it was a very fast read, and i made notes of the pages i wanted to comment on. if none of you read the book, you can feel free to comment on what i decide to talk about. it definitely served as a help to help me look back on the month of january, which i always struggle with, and which i struggled with this year as well. however, this year i also had a crisis of conscience or mid-life crisis or something, as i wondered if i'd always live life alone and if this disease was part of the reason i'd do so. anyway, let me give you these last pages as a way to continue to introduce you to this disease if you haven't been reading 'the smussyolay,' or if i don't do such a good job when i decide to blog about manic-depression when i'm in a depression.

"Everybody I interviewed for this book is diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder, between the ages of 16 and 35, on medicine, and highly functional in society ...

Everybody has stories about being dangerously violent or insomniac or paranoid or immobile. Everybody has takes of being reckless with shopping, or sex, or drugging or whatever. Some of us have memories of all these things.

Most of us have been superhuman: seen things, done things, made things, achieved things no regular person could do. Everybody has had some other horrible traumatic events happen.

Everybody has lost faith in everything they thought was sacred, and then regained it in a new, more informed way.

Everybody wishes someone were to blame for this.

Everybody has stories about alienating their friends.

Everybody has stories about exhausting their parents.

Everybody has somebody who loved them unconditionally through the whole damn mess.

Everybody has stories about being misdiagnosed, mistreated, misunderstood, and disrespected by the medical community.

Everybody has spent long stretches of time as zombies waiting for medicine to work. Most of us has been good sports about humiliating side effects like weight gain, bed-wetting, and drooling.

Everybody experienced a time when it didn't look as if they were gonna make it. Everybody did make it.

Everybody feels lucky to be alive. Everybody has survived an illness that is often fatal.

Everybody in this book as said in some way, "Hell no, I'm not gonna sit on a couch and cope. I'm gonna get out there and rock the mic."

Everybody feels lonely, but everybody isolates themselves. They always have, and they still do.

Everybody feels alone, and they're not, but they are.

Everybody has some people they tell and some people they don't tell. Everybody fears stigma.

Everybody self-medicates in some way or another. Everybody did before they were diagnosed and everybody still does.

Everybody has read the same two or three books about this illness, because that's all that's out there.

Everybody is sure he or she experiences existence on a higher level than people without brain problems. Everybody feels anointed, chosen.

Everybody feels they're only halfway to where they want to be. From this group, I believe that everybody's gonna get there they want to go. And far, far beyond.

...we share the same nagging inner voice that wonders: how much of me is me, and how much of me is this illness.

This is our interior, private response to the exterior, public noise of stigma. What does this thing "bipolar" have to do with all that I am and have ever been? What does it mean I will become, now that I am medicated? And what do I have to do with all that they say mentally ill people are?

...Bipolar people need to fight for good health care, accurate information, and proper cultural representation. We need to examine every single way that society's common sense about the mentally ill is affecting us and determining our future.

...We young bipolars, though we may be protected from episodes through meds, we feel with certainty that something has been taken from us. But when we investigate our memories of mania and depression, when we look back to see just how and just when and just who -- where, even -- we, are, tumbled into the dryer, wrestling about with other problems, mitigating circumstances, false diagnoses, false memories ... all we want is to look back, to see it clearly, and to find within these recollections clues, directives, evidence that might lend guidance for our present and future investigations.

...We're looking for what's missing. And we were at the scene of the crime when all of the robberies took place, but we are unreliable witnesses. Our memories fail us: another reason to be disappointed in ourselves, another reason to rely on outsiders, another reason to decide for the sake of peace and progress, to stop looking back.

But we must investigate. We must never rest easy, feeling stolen from. There can be justice for us, too. So we must go forward with our investigations, and we must look back: first at our episodes, and then, courageously, at everything else."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

But did you like the book? Your thoughts please?

smussyolay said...

well ... you're more than welcome to jump right in, as well!! in fact, it was your pick, so hopefully you can lead some discussion. if you email me your address (thissurrrealllife at sbcglobal dot net), i can add you as an author.

i have more to say about it, i guess i didn't really finish my thought there. i'll keep going in a bit.

Anonymous said...

My address is madgiftinspired@yahoo.com

My queston is up for discussion: Do you think Detour makes the statement it wants to make about young people with bipolar or do you tihnk it trivializes or sensationalizes it a bit?

Unknown said...

My feelings are that it didn't quite set out to do what the author wanted in the first place. yes, it's out there and it's a voice of a young person, but if I had bipolar disorder it wouldn't necessarily give me anything to be hopeful about as a young teenager recently diagnosed with the problem.

I guess the hardest part of the book was for me to have to listen to the regular litany that you get from people who are bipolar - the lack of personal responsibility, the constant belief that they are more special (oughta be in pictures, famous whatever) than anyone else and that they're incapable of being understood, and the constant begging for support to make them happy - I guess the whole 2-D thinking has been surrounding me too much these last couple of months with some of my friends. It becomes a whole inner fight in me to not just scream - grow up! even knowing that this is an illness and several times I felt like just screaming at the author to shut up.

Other than that - it was a very quick read and I even re-read it just to remember some aspects more - but have since lost the book in my move. I'm sure it will show up again some day.

Detour did, along with recent extreme personal situations, cause me to do more research on dealing with people who have bipolar.

Eric said...

Hmmmm... having dealt with a lot of people who going through a personal crisis, great or small, but take absolutely no responsibility for it --

the common denominator seems to be youth, not a particular mental illness. your mileage may vary.

as for the book, I'm diving right into it now. I'm a little put off by some of the tone of it but I'll make the time to get it done. reading. sitting down and actually reading... oy. i suspected joining a book club might result in this.

Unknown said...

well, when the people involved are 40 - it's hard to explain away that as youth. Could be addiction problems - if that seems to make more sense.

Anonymous said...

The author Lizzie Simon is coming to speak near me at a university. I can ask her questions for this blog if you give me your questions.

Eric said...

Julene, you are right about the 40yo's and perhaps I'm too forgiving when it comes to youthful indiscretions.

Actually I'd like to sum up my entire life to this point as something of a series of youthful indiscretions, your honor. 'spose I'll have to grow up eventually.

And where are we on this book, folks??